Lanys Linkage: Mothers Day Ideas 2013
- Bake her something scrumptious! Apple pie muffins(low fat, which is a nice thoughtful way to treat someone on a diet!), Milky Way cookies, flourless chocolate fudge truffle cake (the name is making me salivate…), peanut butter cookies, red velvet brownies…or some good old fashioned rice krispie buns! As long as they are made with love I don’t think anyone minds!!
- If your mum loves TV boxets there’s a whole host of options! I’d recommend; The Office, either the American or the British one, Breaking Bad (although who isn’t watching it these days!), 30 Rock, Black Adder, David Attenborough: The Life Collection, The Wire, Mad Men, House, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Love/Hate…the list is endless! If however she loves films you could do worse than getting her a subscription to Netflix!
- If you have the fabric, and the time, how about a make up case? Or a phone protector? If you’re going all out how about trying a QAYG (Quilt As You Go) tote bag?
- Fill a photo album with photos that bring back great memories! (Boots chemist also run a service for canvas prints!)
- The staple gift of my childhood was breakfast in bed! (Although I often ended up putting more on her quilt than on her plate!) You don’t have to serve it in bed, but having breakfast ready for the woman you want to honour in your life is a pretty neat treat. Jazz it up with some whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread pancakes and you’ve got a gold star headed your way, for sure!
- Soaps, hand creams, lotions, potions, perfume, make up she’d never buy herself! The list is endless! Go to local markets or fairs and see if there are any local people making soaps or natural products! A nice scented candle has never gone astray (unless she’s very senstitve to scent!!)
- Get together with some siblings, friends etc, and create a craft gift basket for you mum(/aunt/grandmum etc!) you could get her more supplies (a stash boost is ALWAYS appreciated!). Or increase her library of patterns? You could get together some patterns you’d think she’d love on Ravelry (you have to join to view, but a lot of patterns are free, and those that are there to be bought are at very reasonable prices!) and print them off and present them in a pretty folder! 🙂
- Charitable donation to a cause close to your mothers heart, some great suggestions include Cancer Research Society, Bernardos, ISCPA, Trocaire, Irish guide Dog Association…the list is as endless as the causes these charities help.
- You could get the book loving lady in your life a set of new books, an ereader or even a voucher (for when you’re unsure of what books she has bought recently!) to further her bookophile ways! Historical, biographies, fiction, thriller, crime, travel books, craft books, the list is endless!
- Tickets to a play or concert! Always a nice gift idea, just make sure to subtly hint before hand to see if she’s busy that date!
- A playlist! Making her a playlist of your/her favourite songs or even just a mix of music that reminds you of her is a great idea and would make a lovely thoughtful present!
- Doing something for her, if its something small like doing the chore she hates doing the most, or helping with the weekly shopping, just doing something to show that you know how much she does and how much you appreciate it will mean a lot.
- Make a card! Store bought cards are all well and good, but the effort of making a card will not go unnoticed 🙂 (this applies for all occasions!)
Besides all the presents you can buy or make, I really think the most important thing you can do on Mothers Day is spend some time with your mum, it could be a video call if you’re living abroad (and many are in these days of emigration), a long phone conversation if you’re unable to take time off work, or just calling round for a cup of tea and a chat!
I hope you all have a good mothers day, if that’s visiting or remembering your mum/aunt/grandmother/whomever you want to honour, til the next post, stay safe and take care.